Ancient Portage Route


Cairn with historical marker,
Frosty Hollow, Route 106, N.B.
For at least 5000 years before the advent of the first European settlers first nations peoples travelled through the Tantramar area. Travel was largely by canoe with portage routes between one river and another.

In 1950 the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada erected this cairn with a historical marker in recognition of the fact that the portage through Frosty Hollow was part of a much wider travel network. Cf. the marker erected by HSMBC in 1938 in Baie Verte (see text below).

For the exact location of the Frosty Hollow marker see Frosty Hollow HSMBC Marker

This route connected Beaubassin by way of Westcock and the valley now known as Frosty Hollow with the Memramcook and Petitcodiac rivers and was an important link in the communications system between Acadia and Quebec.

Passant par Westcock cette route reliait Beaubassin et la vallée maintenant nommée Frosty Hollow aux rivières Memramcook et Petitcodiac et constituait un chaînon important dans le système de communication entre l’Acadie et Québec.

Marker placed by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, in 1950.
See Hamilton, Bill, “The Portage Routes of Siknikt/Chignecto,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 22 May 2002, p.17.
Cf. Baie Verte marker (HSMBC 1938):

This route from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the Bay of Fundy was the chief means of communication between Quebec, Isle Royale, and Chignecto. The portage connected the Baie Verte and Missaguash rivers. [French version follows].

See in map of historic sites

Tantramar Heritage Trust | Historic Sites