Campbell Carriage Factory

Campbell Carriage Factory Museum,
19 Church Street, Middle Sackville, N.B.
Originally built as a tannery in 1841/42 this structure was acquired by Ronald Campbell and converted into a carriage factory in 1855. It is recognized as one of the best existing examples of a 19th century industrial site in Eastern North America. For over a century (1841-1949) the Factory was an important part of the local economy. The building was acquired in 1998 by the Tantramar Heritage Trust which undertook a major restoration. In 2001 it was designated as a Provincial Heritage Site. In 2003 it was officially opened by the Trust as the Campbell Carriage Factory Museum. In 2008, thanks to an old-fashioned barn raising, a structure was added to the rear of the factory building, replacing the original which was demolished in the mid-1900s. The latest addition to the complex is a fully operational blacksmith shop opened in 2011. These enhancements of the property have ensured that this historically significant site is preserved for future generations and is available to the public as a museum of unique interest and importance.
Marker placed by Town of Sackville, in 2000.


c. 1838

Built as a tannery then converted to a carriage factory in 1855 by the Campbell family and operated until 1949. Donated by George Campbell and Sons Ltd. to the Tantramar Heritage Trust in 1998 and restored by the Trust in 1999. The factory is an outstanding example of 19th century manufacturing. Annual production included 30 to 40 wheeled vehicles, 15 to 20 sleighs, a variety of furniture, tools and other items including coffins. The site is now a museum dedicated to “The Horse Era of Tantramar.”
Marker placed by the Province of New Brunswick, in 2001



First operated as a tannery, this 1838 factory produced carriages and caskets for close to 100 years. With its collection of tools, patterns and work-in-progress, it is typical of a small, nineteenth century industrial site.


D’abord exploitée comme tannerie, cette manufacture, construite en 1838, a fabriqué des carrosses et des cercueils pendant près d’un siècle. Avec sa collection d’outils, de gabarits et de travaux en cours, elle est caractéristique d’un petit centre industriel du XIXe siècle.
This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Campbell Carriage Factory Museum

Stanton, Meddy, Part I: “Carriage Factory’s Past Part Of Sackville’s Future,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 18 February 1998, p.17; Part II: “Road Conditions Main Reason For Carriage Factory’s Long Life,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 25 February 1998, p.17; Part III: “Carriage Factory Promises To Come Back To Life As Archivists Dig Into History,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 4 March 1998, p.15.

Tower, Katie, “Carriage Factory’s Hidden Past Exposed,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 15 December 1999, p.17.

Johnston, Kimberley, “Campbell Carriage Factory Designated Official Provincial Heritage Site,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 2 May 2001, p.17.

Wheaton, Amy, “Campbell Carriage Factory Set To Open June 21,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 18 June 2003, p.A-8.

“Campbell Carriage Factory to become ‘virtual’ educational tool,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 7 March 2007.

Tower, Katie, “Campbell Carriage factory to be site of ‘old-fashioned barn raising’,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 28 May 2008, p.4.

LeBlanc, Chris, “Campbell Carriage Factory offers insight into early travel,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 30 July 2008.

“Campbell Carriage Factory Museum event celebrates a new plateau,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 9 September 2009.

“Tantramar Heritage Trust unveils latest upgrades at Campbell Carriage Factory,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 30 September 2009.

Tower, Katie, “Newly-opened blacksmith shop enhances Campbell Carriage Factory Museum,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 9 November 2011.

Tantramar Heritage Trust | Historic Sites