Home / DesBarres House (1907)
|The DesBarres House,
24 Lansdowne Street, Sackville, N.B.A view of the house
not long before its demolition in 2012
|THE DESBARRES HOUSE
1907This house was built in 1907 by John L. Hicks as part of the Easterbrooks Highlands development and sold in 1910 to Dr. and Mrs. F.W.W. DesBarres. Dr. DesBarres, a graduate of Mount Allison served as university librarian from 1914 to 1942, secretary to the faculty from 1917 to 1942, and Professor of History from 1926 to 1936. He lived here, raising three daughters, until the death of his wife Nita in 1943. Thereafter the house was owned by the Barnhill family until 2009 and rented as a 4-unit apartment building.Similar to houses designed by Toronto architect Edmund Burke, the building was a good example of the Shingle style of architecture, with Craftsman influence in multipaned windows. The Queen Anne Revival style was seen in the tower on the left front side.
|The house was acquired by Lafford Realty and rezoning of the property (from Urban Residenrial 1 to Urban Residential 3) by Sackville Town Council paved the way for its demolition in 2012 to make way for the construction of a 3-storey, 12-unit apartment building.
||The apartment building
which now occupies the site.
|Tower, Katie, “Residents urge town to protect historic home,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 23 November 2011, p.2.
Scobie, Charlie, “Ways must be found to preserve heritage buildings,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 4 January 2012, p.7 (letter).