Home / DesBarres House (1951)
The Des Barres House
81 York Street, Sackville, N.B.
|THE DES BARRES HOUSE
1951This house was built in 1951 by Dr. Frederick W.W. Desbarres (1867-1964), Professor of History at Mount Allison University, and his second wife, the former Stella Lund. It is possible that the building was originally a barn which was moved here from one of the adjoining lots and converted into a house. The lot was purchased from J.Laurence Black in June 1951. The house is in the bungalow style, popular in Sackville in the 1950s. It is set back from the road and has a semi-circular driveway. The roof is low-pitched, with the second storey appearing as a large double dormer with a continuous roofline. Because of its date and design this house stands apart from the older heritage buildings on this part of York Street.
|This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area B.