Home / Fawcett Block
15 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.
1913Following the major fire of 1912 the Fawcett Block was built by James A. Hicks in 1913 for local merchant Gaius E. Fawcett. It has been home to a number of commercial enterprises and currently houses a Sears’ mail order outlet.The two storey, flat-roofed building was originally an almost identical twin to the adjacent Cahill Block, at 17 Bridge Street. Both structures followed the new directive of the Town Council requiring buildings in the downtown area to be of brick or stone, and not wood. The facade is of local stone. In the upper level the stone sills and lintels of the two windows form full-width belts. Above the windows a decorative stone belt surmounts a double row of large stone dentils and is in turn topped by a “1913” date stone. Nothing remains of the original ground floor facade which has been replaced by a modern storefront.
|This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
For the Fawcett Block as an example of the Main Street Commercial architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 4: MAIN STREET COMMERCIAL.