Home / Hart, Dr. E. R. House
|Dr. E. R. Hart House
28 York Street, Sackville
|DR. E.R. HART HOUSE
c.1885The original house (behind the later extension) was built c. 1885 for lawyer H.A. Powell, who sold it in 1893 to Methodist minister Rev. T.D. Hart. From him it passed to his son Dr. Edward Reuben Hart (1874-1973) who practiced dentistry here for 73 years until 1972. He was accompanied by his wife Sarah Alice Hart (1880-1980), painter and teacher of fine arts and crafts at Mount Allison University for half a century. In 1907 Dr. Hart extended the original building to make it a full two-storey house.In 1975 the house was purchased from the Hart family then sold to the Maritime Conference of the United Church of Canada, thus providing them with additional parking space. A sizeable addition to the front of the house provided commercial space for two businesses while also obscuring much of the original building. Since the 1970s this addition has housed a variety of businesses including the Vienna Coffee House and the Olive Branch Restaurant.
|This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.