President’s Cottage

President’s Cottage,
146 Main Street, Sackville, N.B. 
The Presidentís Cottage is the oldest building on the Mount Allison campus. Built for the first president Dr. Humphrey Pickard, it was occupied successively by six presidents who served Mount Allison University from 1857 until 1957.A major renovation occurred in 1903 that saw the roof raised and a two storey bay window added to the eastern end. In 1958 it was changed into accommodation for 25 women students. Currently it houses the university club.

In 1965, the cottage was almost torn down to make room for the new Chemistry building. Due to the work of R.J. (Max) Hickey in 1967, the house was restored as Mount Allison University’s Centennial Project.

The President’s Cottage is a good example of domestic Greek Revival architecture, with some Gothic Revival touches.

Plaque placed by Mount Allison University, in 1967
Built in 1857

Was the home of the President of the University until 1957. The renovation was the University’s project to mark Canada’s Centennial and was supported by a grant from the New Brunswick Confederation Centennial Committee. This plaque was unveiled at a special ceremony on Founder’s Day, October 19, 1967.
This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see President’s Cottage

Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood and Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp.31,33.

Tantramar Heritage Trust | Historic Sites