by Al Smith
Established in November 1895, the Sackville Curling Club played its first games on a skating rink. A proper curling rink was built in 1896, the first of three that have housed the club during its 125-year history.
Initially, members of the club were all male, a cross section of business and academic elite of the community. Apart from a brief inroad by women in 1909 and 1920, it remained an “old boys club” for a long time. With the opening of the third (and current) curling rink in 1949, women curlers formed their own organization, but were not fully integrated into the administration of the club in 1979.
Considered to be a primarily recreational curling club, the Sackville Curling Club has nonetheless produced over 40 championship teams, including national champions. to date, four inductees into the Sackville Sports Wall of Fame are curlers.
The Tantramar Heritage Trust is very pleased to present this 125-year history of the Sackville Curling Club as its 35th publication.
You can order our publications at our museums or by mail