|Sackville Harness Shop,
39 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.
|SACKVILLE HARNESS SHOP
c.1846This two-storey wood frame shingled shop was built c. 1846 and is one of the first commercial buildings in the area.For almost a century it has housed Sackville Harness Limited which was established in 1919 and incorporated in 1920. The business has long been famous for a complete range of harness and handmade straw collars for draught horses in Canada and the United States, as well as other high quality traditional leather products.
The company changed hands a number of times and in 1995 it was purchased by Bill Long, a previous long-time employee.
Sackville Harness ShopSamuel Freeze Black (1806-1880) moved from Amherst to Middle Sackville where he built a store in the 1830s. When he moved to Lower Sackville in the mid 1840s his nephew Joseph L. Black took over his original business. On July 8,1846 Samuel Freeze Black purchased land in Lower Sackville from Jonathan Black on which he subsequently built this store and a “mansion”, both standing in 2003. In addition to dry goods, boots and shoes and groceries Black also handled horses, cattle, sleighs, and farming utensils. He sold out in early 1877 to the firm of Bowser and Dickson who had a smaller shop directly across the street.Sackville Harness Limited, formed in 1919, and incorporated in 1920, had as founders Aretus C. Anderson, Albert Anderson, J. L. Dixon, Frank W. Fullerton, Clarence Griffin and William W. Ward. In its first year this business was located directly across the street, moving to this location in 1920. This company has long been famous for a complete range of harness and handmade straw collars for draught-horses in Canada and United States. Later the company changed hands a number of times and in 1995 it was purchased by Bill Long, a previous long-time employee.
|Left: Text of plaque placed by Tantramar Historic Sites committee, with the assistance of Renaissance Sackville and the Town of Sackville, and officially unveiled by Hon. Peter Mesheau. MLA, on Saturday 21 June 2003.
|Painting of Sackville Harness Shop
specially commissioned from Sackville artist
Rod Mattatall.Copyright: used by permission
|This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Sackville Harness Shop
Johnston, Kimberley, “Harness Shop Continues Hometown Tradition,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 19 September 2001, p.13.
Stopps, Phyllis, “Sackville Harness Shop Has Lengthy History,” Sackville Tribune-Post, Wednesday 11 June 2003.