The Thomas Murray House
79 York Street, Sackville, N.B.
|THE THOMAS MURRAY HOUSE
1894Built in 1894 by local builder J.W.Doull this house was rented for a number of years until it was acquired in 1917 by Thomas Murray whose family owned the property until 1943. Murray, a Scotsman, came to Sackville as manager of the Halifax Banking Company, then, after serving as financial secretary to Hon. Josiah Wood, he became the first Town Clerk when Sackville was incorporated in 1903. From 1947 to 1971 it was the home of another Scot, Dr. Arthur Ebbutt, the first Head of the Department of Religious Studies at Mount Allison University.The house with its assymetrical massing and decorative elements exhibits features of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. An open verandah which wraps round the front and east side of the building has attractive decorative brackets. An addition made to the side of the house in the 1990s was designed to blend with the design of the original house.
A special feature of the front porch is the use of coloured glass decoration in the windows (see left).