87 Main Street, Sackville
1906Clement Chandler Avard (1875-1956), noted businessman, publisher, and politician purchased this site from H. Berton Allison and erected this building in 1906. He founded the Tribune newspaper in 1902 and the Tribune Printing Company in 1906; these businesses were housed in this building. For many years he and his wife lived in an apartment on the upper floor. In 1946 the Tribune absorbed The Post to become The Sackville Tribune-Post.In 1947 Avard sold the businesses to The Tribune Press Limited. The newspaper moved from here to a new site in 1993, and the printing business moved to Moncton in 1999. In 2000 the main floor was repurposed to accomodate The Great Canadian Dollar Store. Currently the premises are occupied by a number of businesses.
The two-storey building is of brick with freestone trimmings. In the centre of the upper level is a stone with the inscription “TRIBUNE 1906”. Additions were made to the rear of the building in 1937 and again in the 1990s. In 2000 a verandah was constructed on the front of the building, accessed by a ramp, along with new windows and signage; this detracts from the appearance of the facade.