Wallace McCain Student Centre/Trueman House

Wallace McCain Student Centre,
60 York Street, Sackville, N.B. 
After the destruction of the second Men’s Residence in a disastrous fire in December 1941 the need for a new residence was finally met by the opening of this building in 1946. Designed by C.A. Fowler & Company, it was named for George Johnstone Trueman, President of the University from 1923 to 1945.After undergoing extensive renovations in 2006-2008 the building was re-opened as the Wallace McCain Student Centre, containing a wide range of student services.

Projecting from the rear of the building is Tweedie Hall, notable as the site of a large mural entitled “The History of Mount Allison” painted in 1948 by noted Canadian artist Alex Colville. The mural features both the old men’s residence which burned down and the new Trueman House.

Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood & Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University, (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp.109-115, 208-210.

Jackson, Kip and Charlie Scobie, Sackville Then And Now: New Brunswick’s Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p.87.

Tantramar Heritage Trust | Historic Sites