Chapman Monument, Point de Bute Cemetery, Point de Bute, N.B.
Monument erected in 1939 in memory of William Chapman (c.1730-1813?) of Hawnby, Yorkshire, England, one of the Yorkshire Settlers who came to this area on the ship "Albion" in 1774 along with his wife Mary and children, William Jr., Thomas, Jane, John, Mary, Henry, Jonathan, Sarah and Ann.
Like many of the Yorkshire settlers William Chapman had been influenced by John Wesley and was an adherant of the emerging Methodist faith. When it was planned to build a Methodist chapel on the Beausejour ridge Chapman gave a parcel of land to John Wesley by means of a deed dated 13 September 1788.
The William Chapman Memorial cairn was completely restored and the bronze plaque cleaned in July 2000. The work was done by the Tantramar Heritage Trust via a donation from the Chapman family. The Cairn was rededicated during the Chapman family reunion held August 8, 2000 during the Yorkshire 2000 celebrations.
IN HONOUR OF
* * *
OF HAWNBY, YORKSHIRE, WHO
CAME TO CHIGNECTO IN 1774,
HAS BEEN ERECTED BY SOME
OF HIS DESCENDANTS ON
LAND WHICH HE GAVE TO THE
FIRST METHODIST CHURCH
IN CANADA IN 1788.
- * -
Marker placed by Chapman descendants, in 1939
Trueman, Dr. G.J., "Address given at the unveiling of a monument to William Chapman, 15th October 1939," Sackville Tribune-Post, 19 October 1939, reprinted in Sackville Tribune-Post, 26 July 2000.
On the erection of the monument in 1939 see Articles on the 1939 dedication of the Chapman Memorial
On the re-dedication of the monument in 2000 see Comments at Re-Dedication of William Chapman Monument by Don Chapman, August 8, 2000, Point de Bute, New Brunswick.