Home / Captain John Purdy House
|Captain John Purdy House
34 Queens Road, Sackville, N.B.
|CAPTAIN JOHN PURDY HOUSE
1877Built in 1877, this is a white, 1 1/2-storey vernacular Classical Revival cottage with clapboard siding, paired bay windows and steeply pitched gable roof.The area in which it is located is known locally as “Captains’ Corner”. Ship captain John Purdy purchased the property in 1876 from ship builder Christopher Boultenhouse, whose own home was located across the street. Master seaman Purdy sailed from the Port of Sackville to destinations all over the world carrying cargoes of wood, agricultural products and building stone. In June of 1887, he left for California and later moved to British Columbia, serving as master of significant ships on the Pacific Coast of North America.
|This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Captain John Purdy House