Home / Oscar Tracy Block
|The Oscar Tracy Block
19-21 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.
|THE OSCAR TRACY BLOCK
c.1870?This building was probably built in the 1830s in another location and moved here in the 1870s by William H. Tracy. In the early 1900s Tracy added a second then a third storey. It barely escaped the fires of 1912 and 1938. W.H.Tracy operated the building as a restaurant which was well known for its Oyster Bar. Oscar Tracy succeeded his father and rebuilt and enlarged the block after the 1938 fire. The building hosted a succession of businesses including Goodwin’s Ice Cream and Tea Parlour, Lampert’s Men’s and Boys’ Clothing, Steadman’s Jewellery and Watch Repair and the Vienna Coffee House.The building has undergone many structural changes over the years. In 2001 major renovations unfortunately included the addition of vertical metal siding in place of the original horizontal clapboard.
|This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
See K. Jackson & C. Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick’s Oldest Town in Photographs (Tantramar Heritage Trust: Sackville, N.B., 2013), p.24-25.