Home / Sprague House
|Sprague House, 2009
15 Salem Street, Sackville, N.B.
1910After acquiring this and the adjacent property Charles Fawcett had Sackville Woodworkers build two houses on spec in 1910. This one he sold to Rev. Dr. Howard Sprague, one of the first two graduates from Mount Allison University in 1863, who had a distinguished career first as a Methodist minister then as Professor of Systematic Theology and Dean of the Theological Faculty at Mount Allison. On his death in 1916 family members occupied the house until 1953. In 1957 it was acquired by Mount Allison University and used for academic purposes including the university’s first French language lab.Along with the neighbouring Baxter House this building was an excellent example of the Craftsman style popular in the early 1900s. The style was inspired by the work of the two California brothers Charles and Henry Greene who were influenced by the English Arts and Crafts movement. Typical are the sloping roofline, full width porch with eave overhang and exposed rafters, and solid square supporting pillars. Numerous pattern books were available and the designs for Sprague (and Baxter) House probably came from such a source.
|Mount Allison University deemed both Sprague and Baxter Houses surplus to their requirements and offered the buildings for sale at a nominal sum to anyone who would preserve them by moving them to a new site. Although several persons showed an interest in purchasing the Baxter and Sprague Houses, in the end no offers were received and the houses were demolished in 2009.
Sprague House: Detail of the porch