Home / Campbell Hall
151 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.
2004Campbell Hall is the fifth building to stand on this site. The first three housed the Mount Allison Academy and each was destroyed by fire in 1866, 1882 and 1933 respectively. The fourth building was Palmer Hall built in 1934; it housed the Academy until 1959 when it became a student residence. It was demolished in 2003 to make way for the new residence.Campbell Hall, designed by the architectural firm of Sperry & Partners, was originally intended to be of modern design to match Harper Hall. The design was changed to incorporate more traditional features. Whereas Palmer Hall had been set back from Main Street yet facing the road, Campbell Hall was built close to the road yet facing inwards to create a new quadrangle along with Harper, Jennings and Windsor Halls.
|Plaque placed by Mount Allison University, in 2004
IS NAMED IN HONOUR OF
SARAH CAMPBELL, GREAT-GRANDMOTHER
OF SIDNEY A. WINDSOR 1892-1960,
INDUSTRIALIST AND MOUNT ALLISON
CAMPBELL HALL WAS BUILT
IN 2003/2004 UNDER THE PRESIDENCY
OF A. WAYNE MACKAY
|Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood and Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp.206,207,209.
Campbell Hall in Mount Allison Residence Profiles.
Tower, Katie, “University Celebrates New Dorm,” Sackville Tribune-Post, 20 October 2004, p. 5.