|The M.E. Goodwin Building
11-13 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.
|THE M.E. GOODWIN BUILDING
1922The building was constructed for M.E. Goodwin in 1922 on a site which had burned down in the fire of 1912. It began life as “Goodwin’s Ice Cream and Tea Parlour.” Part of the building was also used as the Canadian National Telegraph Office. It was sold in 1944 to H.A.Beale and for the next 20 years was the site of “Beale’s Men’s Wear.” After 1964 one half of the building became Carter’s Flower Shop, originally owned by Lloyd Carter; the other half became “The Crofter” in the early 1970s. Both these businesses saw a number of owners. Presently one half of the building remains as “The Crofter”; the other is the home of “Tidewater Books” which previously operated on the other side of Bridge Street.The concrete block construction is typical of the 1920s. Unfortunately this building is the only one-storey one on this side of Bridge Street and does not match the roof line of the neighbouring buildings. The two entrance doors are set in a recessed entry with bay shop windows on either side.