Home / Marshlands Inn
|The Marshlands Inn
55 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.
|THE MARSHLANDS INN
1854In 1854 Edward Cogswell purchased this site from Jotham Estabrooks who had purchased it in 1851 from Charles Dixon. Cogswell and his wife Ruth then built this fine house and moved into it when they left their previous residence at 67 Bridge Street. Here their two daughters were born, Susan in 1855 and Minnie in 1857.Following the death of Edward Cogswell in 1895 the property was purchased in 1896 by Henry C. Read who named the house ìMarshlands.î Henryís son Herbert W. Read followed his father in the grindstone business but in 1935 opened the house as ìThe Marshlands Inn.î The property remained in the Read family until the 1980s and continues to be operated to this day as a quality country inn.
|Plaque placed by Town of Sackville, in 1999.
NOTE: Recent research has shown that this house was not built by William Crane (who died in March 1853), but by his son-in-law Edward Cogswell. It was known as the Cogswell House until Henry C. Read named it “Marshlands.”
1854Built by the Hon. William Crane, an early Sackville merchant, landowner, politician and partner of Charles Frederick Allison. The home was a wedding present for his daughter Ruth and Edward Cogswell and was known as Cogswell House. In 1895, it was renamed Marshlands after the beautiful Tantramar marshes by its new owner Henry C. Read, a stone merchant.
|This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
For the Marshlands as an example of the Colonial Revival architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 8: COLONIAL REVIVAL.
This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Marshlands Inn
Cogswell, Minnie G., “Marshlands Inn Sackville, N.B.” and Edwards, Rhianna, “Minnie Cogswell Remembers her Home and Family,” in The White Fence, 74, September 2016, pp.5-8.
Jackson, Kip and Charlie Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick’s Oldest Town in Phtographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p. 94.