|POINT DE BUTE METHODIST CHURCHESThis church bell and plaque are a memorial to the three Methodist churches which served the community of Point de Bute. The 1788 building which was located in the area in which the memorial is placed was among the first Methodist churches in Canada. It was a stone building with a thatch roof located on land given by Yorkshire settler William Chapman to John Wesley. See Point de Bute Memorial Arch. It was replaced by another church in 1822, which in turn was replaced by a church built in 1881 a short distance away at 9 Point de Bute Road. From the formation of the United Church in Canada in 1925 it served as a United Church until it was closed in 1996.
|This memorial bell and plaque were placed in 2000 within the grounds of the Point de Bute Cemetery, Point de Bute, Highway 16, N.B.
|THIS BELL FROM WESLEY UNITED CHURCH,
9 POINT DE BUTE ROAD, IS A MEMORIAL TO
ALL WHO WORSHIPPED IN METHODIST AND
UNITED CHURCHES IN THIS COMMUNITY. METHODIST CHAPEL 1788 POINT DE BUTE CEMETERY
METHODIST CHURCH 1822 POINT DE BUTE CEMETERY
METHODIST CHURCH 1881-1996 9 POINT DE BUTE ROAD
|The church bell used as part of the memorial bears the inscription (in raised letters) on one side “THE C.S.BELL CO.  HILLSBORO O.” and on the other “STEEL ALLOY  CHURCH BELL.” This indicates that the bell was manufactured by the C.S.Bell company of Hillsboro, Ohio, founded by Charles Singleton Bell. For infirmation on the company see C.S.Bell and his bellfoundry.