Home / Middle Sackville Methodist Chapel
Middle Sackville Methodist Chapel
1790This stone and plaque within the Middle Sackville Burying Ground, 308 Main Street, Middle Sackville, N.B. mark the site of the first Methodist chapel in the Sackville area, one of the earliest Methodist churches in Canada. It served the Sackville Methodist community until the building of a larger Methodist chapel at the corner of Bridge and Main Streets in Sackville. See Sackville Methodist/United Church.
|METHODIST CHAPEL 1790THE FIRST METHODIST CHAPEL
IN THE SACKVILLE AREA WAS
DEDICATED IN JULY 1790 BY
THE REV JAMES MANN. ITS
FIRST TRUSTEES WEREJOHN FAWCETT
JOHN FAWCETT JR.
THE STONE FOUNDATIONS
PRESERVED BELOW GROUND
ARE OUTLINED ON THE SURFACE.
Marker placed by Sackville United Church, in 1976.
|The candelabrum created to provide light for the 1790 chapel survived. It was restored by Lindsay Smith and preserved by the Sackville United Church congregation. See Penner, Peter, The Chignecto ‘Connexion’; The History of Sackville Methodist/United Church, 1772-1990 (Sackville, N.B.: Sackville United Church, 1990), p. 176.